The Baby Breininger Blog

Welcome friends! In 2007 we started this blog to share the status of our adoption process. After an excrutiatingly long wait, we travelled to Haiti in June 2009 and brought our girl home on July 15. Now this blog is a place for us to share pictures and videos, give updates and brag about how wonderful she is. Enjoy!

Thursday, January 7, 2010

A big day for Maya

Yesterday Maya received in the mail her new birth certificate, this one stating that we are the parents and that her name is now officially Maya Bedeline Breininger. Holding this piece of paper felt very surreal and wonderful. Partly because to us we've been her parents and she's been "Maya" for almost seven months now. And partly because it made me realize that technically she's been Bedeline this whole time. In the same way, we fluctuate between feeling like she's been here forever and feeling disbelief that she's actually here.

The other big event in Maya's life yesterday was that when I picked her up from child care, the provider told me that she finally let her bossy friend "have it". Assuming this meant Maya verbally sticking up for herself against this older child who likes to teach her bad habits, my first reaction was, "yes!"...until I heard that there was blood involved. After a long fight over a ball Maya swung and knocked her friend in the nose, causing it to bleed. At this I was mortified. Apparently it didn't even bruise, but still! When we approached Maya about it later, she felt terrible and after telling the story turned and said, "I don't want you guys to look at me right now." A conversation about using our words followed.

I can't wait to see what happens on the day when her Social Security card arrives!

No comments: